By Callie Melton, Guiding Light
This past winter, Guiding Light (GL) distributed 188 donated coats, many of which went
to children and families who were homeless during the wintertime — 52 went to GL partner Family Promise, another eight went to students of Kelloggsville School District, and the rest were distributed at the mission.
GL is asking for further donations from members of the community or charity groups as the mission is always in need of survival kits, toiletries and seasonal clothing to support the men in the program as well as other homeless families in the area.
Survival kits are desired for the Back to Work program so the men can carry the things they need while they are looking for employment. The kits should consist of:
- A backpack, one water bottle/non-spill coffee mug, mesh laundry bag,
finger/toenail clipper set, folder (to hold resumes), spiral
notebook/pen/pencil/highlighter, small storage thumb-drive, socks.
- Toiletry needs for both the Back to Work and Recovery programs include:
Deodorant, body wash, shampoo/conditioner, and razors.
- Seasonal clothing for men, women and children: New or gently used summer clothing.
- Also backpacks (new or gently used).
- Men’s belts (new or gently used), men’s white t-shirts and men’s regular underwear sizes medium, large, extra-large and 2XL.
Items may be shipped or delivered to Guiding Light, located at 255 S. Division Ave., Grand Rapids, MI 49503.