Guiding Light provides services to the homeless and suffering while sharing the love of Christ with those in need. Their mission is to provide recovery and re-engagement for those living at society’s margins.
Cash donations give Guiding Light the most flexibility, but there are certain items that the men always need. They have continuing need for the following:
- Underwear and T-shirts (L, XL, 2XL)
- Men’s belts
- Steel Toed Boots
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss
- Body wash/soap
- Combs or brushes
- Disposable razors and shaving cream
- Seasonal items (hats, gloves, thermal underwear, sun screen)
You can drop off your donations at: Guiding Light, 255 Division S, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Additional Opportunities for Giving
The folks at Guiding Light strive to be good stewards of the building and properties they own and work continuously to maintain the facilities. However, help is needed with the following projects, which are above and beyond standard maintenance. If you are interested in helping either with labor or materials and equipment, or both, please contact Olivia at 616.451.0236 x13 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will pair you with the correct person from the right department.
- Carpet in several offices
- Fencing to go around water heaters
- Indoor/Outdoor black rugs
- The food warmer (aka, Hot Box) next to the serving line is in need of a new motor
- Kitchen tile floor either needs to be replaced or re-grouted
- Donations of used bicycles on behalf of Freedom in Motion are being accepted at the 255 Division Ave S location. Freedom in Motion will restore them to safe-working order and distribute them to anyone in need of reliable, inexpensive transportation.
Because Guiding Light is a 501(c)3 non-profit registered with the State of Michigan as a homeless shelter, your in-kind donations may be eligible for tax deductions. Please consult your tax advisor for eligibility requirements.